Planning & Zoning
Planning & Zoning
The City of Volga has an established Planning & Zoning Commission. The Planning & Zoning Commission meet on an as-needed basis with all meetings at City Hall and are open to the public.
Planning & Zoning Commission Members:
Jordan Warne (Chairman)
Administrative Official: Michael Schulte
Zoning ordinances and the Planning Zoning Commission are established to:
1. To foster a harmonious, convenient, workable relationship among land uses.
2. To promote the stability of existing land uses that conform with the Comprehensive
Land Use Plan and to protect them from inharmonious influences and harmful
3. To insure that public and private lands ultimately are used for the purposes which are
most appropriate and most beneficial from the standpoint of the community as a whole.
4. To prevent excessive population densities and overcrowding of the land with
5. To protect and enhance real estate values.
6. To safeguard and enhance the appearance of the community, including natural
7. To place the power and responsibility of the use of land in the hands of the property
owner contingent upon the compatibility of surrounding uses and the comprehensive
land use plan.
8. To facilitate the adequate provision of transportation, water and sewerage, schools,
parks, and other public requirements.
9. To regulate and restrict the height, number of stories, and bulk of building and other
structures; the percentage of lots that may be occupied; the size of yards, courts, and
other open spaces; and the location and use of other purposes.
10. To regulate and restrict the erection, construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair,
and use of building, structures, and land.
Various projects, new subdivisions, new plats, conditional uses, and variances require that the Planning & Zoning Commission review such items and make a recommendation to the City Council.
To review current city and zoning ordinances or the most current online zoning map, visit this link.
For all Planning & Zoning inquires, contact Michael Schulte at 605-627-9113 or sending us a message.